Friday, July 1, 2011

Tribute to Toastmasters

On Tuesday I handed over the presidential reigns to my successor. I am happy to step back from this and a few other responsibilities for now. We all need periods of rest. I really need some rest. I have been very tired of late and over our farewell dinner I had temporarily forgotten my neighbor had already spoken! Ugh.

My heart sank when a few of the club members asked me if I was going to stop attending now that I am no longer president. It made me unhappy to think this is a general opinion people hold of leaders. In fact it is distressing to me how selfish some leaders can be. Very distressing. At least when I show up for the next meeting, and the next meeting, and the one after that I will walk my talk. Leadership is not about power to me. It’s about commitment and caring as well as execution. When I reintegrate myself into the club as a member, my actions won’t change (other than I need to be quiet more and let others facilitate and lead) because that is the authentic me.

What is Toastmasters? It is an amazing international organization which provides a supportive environment to help people become better communicators and leaders. If you ever have been or are in a club that is otherwise, you are in the wrong club. Find another.



I found Toastmasters because of my dear Grandpa. I used to be terrified to speak in front of a group. Grandpa recommended I try Toastmasters, he said: “Whatever your issues are, they will work it out of you.”  During my Icebreaker speech my knees shook so hard you could see my pants rattle! Of course Grandpa was right, I am no longer afraid to speak in front of groups. In fact, I enjoy the challenge and more often than not seek to earn one laugh.

Club dues may vary from place to place but in most events it should not cost over $100 per year. It’s not a cult and nobody is selling Tupperware. It is a fabulous platform to work out any communications or leadership issues you want to master. Plus, you never know where Toastmasters will lead you.

In the spring I came back to the Pacific Northwest for school and drove down to the Grand Coulee Dam. Wouldn’t you know it? As I stood in the visitor’s center listening to the memories of  city residents who grew up while the dam was being built, there was my Grandpa. At that moment, it was just me frozen in the middle of the room listening to his recorded gravelly, country voice sharing a remarkable legacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment