Thursday, July 7, 2011

One Good Thing about Failure

For those who are resilient, you will overcome failure. You will grow tired of failure and you will figure out a way to reach your goals.  You will take the hit and you will move on.



The great Rocky Balboa punches and jabs his powerful message into us:

"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers saying: You ain´t what you wanna be because of him or her or anybody. Cowards do that and that ain´t you! You´re better than that!"

Have you ever taken the time to reflect on your actions and realize you've been acting on your ego? I have. I've discovered when I am struggling for growth I am learning, straining, and also resisting. If I am not careful I can get sucked into the struggle and take punch after punch (with no one wisely willing to "cut me" when I need it). I am willing to struggle, but I am not looking to get knocked out either. How can I build resilience while taking the hits?

For several months I've thought a lot about whether an organization creates bad actions or if people are solely responsible for their own bad behavior. I don't have an answer yet; I have failed.  So I must engage in a new way of approaching the issue. Carl Jung said, "What you resist, persists."  To me, this means I need to make peace with the issue and stop resisting it and letting my ego dominate my thoughts and actions.  I am grateful there are so many resources to help me make the right choices and help me off my knees.

One good thing about failure is the feeling of satisfaction as you move on, lesson learned--you have just added more credits to your resiliency account. It's also an excellent opportunity to reflect on your achievement, thank those who have helped you, and give back. More often than not, this failure coupled with a resilient attitude has helped you redefine yourself. Do you like the new you?

No comments:

Post a Comment