Sunday, March 4, 2012

The Leader's Highest Peak

As required, I've been (unenthusiastically) reading Good to Great. Although the author is passionate about the topic, it seems to me the book is written so that it doesn't need to be read. I felt I could skim the clever chapter summaries, regular highlights, strategically placed italicized bits of wisdom and not invest myself in reading the narrative. I fought this end-of-the-class tendency and happily discovered The Hedgehog Concept.

The Hedgehog Concept
The concept can be applied to both the individual and an organization. However as Collins stresses: the concept is not a plan or a strategy, but "It is an understanding of what you can be the best at". That is a Rambo-tough idea to define. It is your naked truth. I confess I do not have mine etched in stone, but I am now working on finding my ideal role because I refuse to settle. "...Many people have been pulled or fallen into careers where they can never attain complete mastery and fulfillment. Suffering from the curse of competence but lacking a clear Hedgehog Concept, they rarely become great at what they do" and they are rarely happy people.

I have a tendency to make up my mind about something and then move on. For instance, Steve Martin has never been on my list of favorite comedians. I love comedy and comedians. And I want to love them all. Sure !Three Amigos! is funny, but Chevy Chase is the funniest person alive. Sure Planes, Trains and Automobiles is a great movie, but John Candy is the king of family funny movies. I'll admit L.A. Story is amusing but it's not one I rewatch with any regularity. I, lover of all things funny, set Steve Martin on the shelf and I moved on.

Until I realized we have something in common: ENTJ.

In reading Born Standing Up I came to see a new Steve Martin. I enjoyed the book although only 2 or 3 passages made me laugh out loud. Much of the book dealt with, "I have heard it said that a complicated childhood  can lead to a life in the arts." In retrospect Martin says, "I was seeking comic originality and fame fell on me as a by-product." His Hedgehog Concept is comic originality.  He breaks down his journey in one of the best book openings I have ever read. "I did stand-up comedy for eighteen years. Ten of those years were spent learning, four years were spent refining, and four were spent in wild success."

Yet at the end of this 18th year he has an artistic crisis, packs up his props and writes, "I never did stand-up again." Martin lived his ideal role until it no longer became ideal. He had the courage and heart to know he is an original. When his fame became the loneliest period of his life, when he could no longer experiment with his craft because he did not want to disappoint his fans, and when he felt obliged to question every conversation for an ulterior motive--he let go.

I have never made it a secret that I admire strength of character. To develop my own, and when it is absolutely unavoidable or ridiculous, I always admit when I am wrong. Steve Martin--I was wrong. You are a courageous comedian leader who experimented in the art of comedy and stretched its boundaries, bringing change with laughter.

I have come to realize an ENTJ is on a high peak. To succeed, the leader must learn how to live up to wild ideals, figure out what to do once you get there, always laugh to reduce stress, and if push comes to shove, redirect back towards your Hedgehog Concept if you are being forced off your peak.




No comments:

Post a Comment