Saturday, August 13, 2011

Left, Right. Left-foot, Right.

Earlier this month I went out to the Pacific Northwest to climb a mountain--it was part of the course curriculum. I trained physically and mentally for 3 months. Over a dozen strangers met at the mountain base to attempt the summit and to apply hardiness principles.

Great Mountains

I confess: I did not make it to the top. I did, however learn several valuable leadership lessons.

When I was asked to turn back with 3 others, I was not upset--I adapted to the situation. Frustration came, but it centered around the use of my time. As it turned out, this weekend I trained, prepared, and bought a lot of gear for turned out to be me confined to base camp with 3 classmates and a guide.  

My frustration had nothing to do with the company and everything to do with seeking a meaningful cumulative purpose from the trip. It's hard to find worthwhile meaning in an activity from pure observation. 

At work the same questionable activities I left have swollen angrily. The people who condone or turn a blind eye to these activities openly admit they have no interest in anything other than themselves and what their paycheck provides them. Other, sensitive hard-workers recognize and expound on questionable activities but take no action to report or correct them.

Why not? Because, they say, in the past they have reported improper activities and they were targeted with hostile, retaliatory behavior. And besides, they lament, nothing ever comes out of it.

Imagine, your life--not living to your full potential because you let other people run you down. Imagine, not climbing a mountain and never trying it again.

Left, Right. Left-foot, Right.

I came to several realizations over the weekend. First I acknowledged it's not necessary to succeed on the first attempt. Secondly, what a glorious relief to be free from the burden of only being successful (in my mind) when you travel from point A to point B without reveling in detours. Finally, one foot in front of the other is a good plan for climbing a mountain of obstacles.

The work issues are, from my perspective, completely out of control. As an individual by speaking up I, too have become a target. It's a good thing I have been training for 3 months because it is helping me dodge bullets. I can take it. I don't want to, but I can take it--and deflect it. Each day I do not quit, but seek to uncover more questionable issues.  It turns out in the past I have been telling the wrong people the right information. Now, I am actively seeking to find the right people and share the right information.

Left, Right. Left-foot, Right.

No comments:

Post a Comment