Thursday, June 2, 2011

Struggling for Growth

I once saw a movie where the homeless man's cardboard sign said "Jaguar in the shop."  A few more that make me smile are:













Since these are taken, my cosmic cardboard sign to the Universe says "Will struggle for growth." On the back side it will say "No Excuses." Why? When I look back on my life I see a common theme: I LOVE novelties and the adventures of life. If there is something out of the ordinary, an opportunity to explore I am magnetically drawn to it. For good or bad I have found when I take these opportunities and stitch them together--they form the most enjoyable moments of my life.

Although I often choose to struggle with a new experience, if I am doing it right I choose these struggles with trepidation and on the risk that they will lead to high paying dividends. Along the way, I may stumble and I may get off-course, but I am always grateful when I choose to live my life fully.

Each time I stretch into new territory I train myself for those opportunities that come up unexpectedly--that might otherwise knock me off my feet. It is these opportunities which often afford me unexpected growth. These struggles are the most difficult. In these times I look inward and question my character--in fact I question everything and I often don't like the answer. At some point when I struggle I eventually ask myself: Is this all I've got? Before long I realize to succeed I need to wipe away the excuses and reformulate who I want to be.

As the eminent psychologist William James notes "You have enormous untapped power you'll probably never tap, because most people never run far enough on their first wind to ever find they have a second." My desire is to tap into my heretofore hidden power, meet the new opportunities with a smile and program the excuses out of me.

1 comment:

  1. Found my hidden power already, I have. You, too, shall, hmmm?

    Welcome Blogger. Up with Blogspot; down with Wordpress.

    ReplyDelete